Comprehensive  Ghana Oil and Gas news, information, updates, analysis


Event

High Level Policy Dialogue on select Natural Resources Value Chains

Loading Map….

Date/Time
Date(s) – 06/12/2017
9:00 am – 1:30 pm

Location
Labadi Beach Hotel


AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK GROUP

GROUPE DE LA BANQUE AFRICAINE DE DEVELOPPEMENT

 

 

HIGH LEVEL POLICY DIALOGUE ON SELECT NATURAL RESOURCES VALUE CHAINS

ANNOUNCEMENT

Africa is endowed with natural resources both renewable and nonrenewable. For example compared to total global output of certain extractive resources, the Africa region produces about 21% of total gold output, 52% of diamond, 73% of cobalt, 83% of platinum, and 58% of manganese. These extractive resources offer a unique opportunity for driving economic growth, promoting economic diversification and creating jobs for the African people.

But resource-rich African countries face challenges in transforming their resource wealth into sustained growth. This is largely as a result of weak development within the continent of the value chains of the extractive resources like gold, diamond, iron ore, gas, among others. This challenge motivated the African Natural Resources Center (ECNR) to commission a series of studies to provide policymakers in Regional Member Countries (RMCs) with the information they need to strike the right balance between maximizing revenue from natural resources and integrating them into national economies. The policymakers are provided with a sector-bysector understanding of the entry barriers, benefits and types of public investments necessary to pave the way for successful downstream processing; and evaluating their varying capacity to generate employment, contribute to public income (fiscal and non-fiscal revenues), support infrastructure development and create domestic linkages.

 

It is within this context that the ECNR is hosting a High Level Policy Dialogue on select Natural Resources Value Chains on the 6th December 2017 at Labadi Beach Hotel, in Accra Ghana. The Dialogue will bring together government officials, private sector companies, academia and CSOs from Economic Community for West Africa States (ECOWAS) in the gas, iron ore, diamonds, and fish sectors. These resources have been purposely selected because of their significant economic contribution to several member countries in ECOWAS. The main objective of the High Level Policy Dialogue is to strengthen the capacity of RMCs to effectively design and implement competitive downstream policies for value addition and to enhance the ability of governments to negotiate with investors. The High Level Policy Dialogue is aligned to the Bank Strategy on Industrialization and improving the Quality of life of the African People.

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________

African Development Bank Group | African Natural Resources Centre (ANRC)

Immeuble CCIA Avenue Jean-Paul II | Plateau, Abidjan | Côte d’Ivoire

E-mail : anrc@afdb.org ; Internet : www.afdb.org

Profile photo of Editor
Follow Us

Profile photo of Editor
Follow Us

Latest posts by Editor (see all)

Personality of the Month
Follow Us Online
About Us
Reporting Oil and Gas project was launched on 4th June 2009 at Takoradi, Western Region, Ghana by Penplusbytes (www.penplusbytes.org) with the vision of providing a one stop online information and knowledge about Ghana’s oil and gas sector read more
Events Calendar
<< Dec 2017 >>
MTWTFSS
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Twitter Activity Stream
 

Partners We are proud to be associated with:

Skip to toolbar